With 25 years of coaching and 26 years of playing experience Steve, brings a wealth of energy and knowledge to SAVC. Some coaching highlights include:
Co-Founder and President of the Southern Alberta Volleyball Club and BURNZ indoor training and Clinics
Two indoor provincial club titles 2007/2009;
3 National Div 1 Tier-1 club indoor medals 2 Silver and 1 Bronze 2008/2009/2010;
2 National Div-1 Tier-3 Gold Medals 2013, 2014 - 2 National Div1 Tier 3 Silver Medals
1 National Div-3 15U Championship Gold 2010 (14U Nor-Cal Spark)
31 Div 1 AVA Club Medals (6 Gold 9 Silver, 16 Bronze)
Two Alberta Winter Games Gold Medals Girl's Volleyball 2008 & 2010
U12 Head Coach JR Canuck Boys program 2016-2017
15 years head coaching Volleyball Academies at the Volleydome.
Responsible for identifying and developing some of Calgary's top youth Indoor and Beach Volleyball players since 2003. Steve has been apart of 100's of kids personal and athletic development, jointly leading them to provincial teams, post secondary CIS, ACAC, and NCAA schools. Steve develops the his players and teams, with his style of practice, and game play. They call him the "Legend"
Beach Volleyball Coaching Experience
Co-Founder and President of BURNZ BEACH Volleyball
Six Youth Provincial Beach Volleyball titles in 4 years 2007-2010-2012
Two National Beach Championship 2008/2012
5 National Beach Tier-1 medals 2 Golds 2 Silver and 1 Bronze
Alberta Summer Games Gold Medal—Boys Beach Volleyball, Silver Girls. 2008 Medicine Hat Alberta
Summer Games Gold & Silver Medal Girls Beach 2010 Peace River
Summer Games Gold Medal Girls Beach, 2012 Lethbridge
Guest coach for Volleyball Alberta Beach Volleyball program
Guest coach for Volleyball Canada High performance international Beach Volleyball Championships in Hermosa Beach California
Guest coach for Volleyball Mexico National team training practices Mazatan Mexico Men and women
Guest coach Volleyball Cuba Norceca Championships Varadero Cuba Women.
Guest coach for Professional Beach Volleyball training with Jose Loiola Hermosa Beach California
Guest coach for High for High Performance training with: Ben Saxton, Stephanie Burnside, Bibi Candelas, Martin Reader, Camille Saxton, Don Saxton, Vanessa Virgin, Zaida Gonzalas, Itzel Sonoita, Ray Sewell, Hernan Humanus, Garth Pischke, Taylor Pischke, Melissa Humanus, Martha Revuelta, Juan Virgen, Lombardo Ontiveros, Chava Gonzalas.
Former HS MVP, multiply tournament All Stars awards
BC Provincial Indoor player 89-91
Former Starting LS at SAIT 2 years (4 each year)
Former professional Beach Volleyball player 6-8 years, 2 molson open appearances, Mexican National tour events. Multiple mens open Jose Cuervo, Alberta Open Tournament victories 92-97
Senior mens and Mix
• 19 years coaching both indoor and beach volleyball
• Coached school and club teams from 13U to 18U age groups
• Guest coached for Volleyball Mexico as part of the Beach Volleyball World Tour in Puerto Vallarta and various Norceca tour events
• Former provincial/state volleyball team player.
• Former University Autonomy of Sinaloa player
• Former Senior Ladies Club setter and mixed teams setter
• Former Pro-beach Volleyball player (4 years on the Mexican National tour).
• Trained with former top-ranked beach volleyball team in Mexico.
• Two appearances in the Vancouver Open B.C.
Michele Hunt began playing competitive volleyball at the age of thirteen in Cleveland, OH. She progressed through high school varsity volleyball and accepted an NCAA scholarship to attend Mercyhurst College in Erie, PA. Michele was a four year starter with the Lakers and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in Education.
Given her playing experience and education, Michele founded Volleyball 101 in 2012 looking to provide an opportunity for young athletes to participate in a grass roots volleyball program.
Michele has also coached club volleyball in Calgary since 2013 and won a gold medal as a head coach at the U14 age group nationals held in Calgary in 2015.
Michele led the SAVC U15 girls to an 8th place finish in Division 1 at the 2016 Provincial Championships and was named Mikasa/Volleyball Alberta Developmental Coach of the Year.
• Certified Level 2, Level 3 in training
• 10 years of coaching indoor volleyball
• Boys/ Girls EMJH Badminton- 3 years
• Coached FLHS school (Sr Boys)- 2 years
• Dome club (Boys/ Girls age 12 to 18) - 5 years
• Club teams (TSAElite/Cochrane Jags Girls U16) - 2 years
• U13 Head Coach Jr Canuck Boys program 2016-2017
• U16 Head Coach SAVC 2017-2018
• U17 Head Coach SAVC 2015-2016
• U18 Head Coach SAVC 2016-2017
• Forest Lawn High School (Jr, and Sr).
• FLHS MVP and Athlete of the year in 2007 (Setter).
• Volleydome Div 1 Indoor Volleyball League.
Guest coach for the Canadian Women’s Volleyball B Team; Assistant Coach for The King’s University College Women’s Team, Zone 2 & 3 men’s beach volleyball coach placing 1st and 2nd at the 2012 Alberta Summer Games; Canuck U16 finishing 3rd in Nationals and Canuck Clutch U15 Boys Provincial Champs; 5 straight years in city finals winning two titles; Coached camps for Jasper Volleyball, Sylvan Lake Beach Volleyball, Alberta Volleyball; University of Alberta, Grant MacEwan and Volleydome.
Kailey Buller (Level 1) As an experienced player, coach, referee, family physician and sport trainer, Kailey brings a unique combination of strengths to her role as a volleyball coach. With a strong focus on injury prevention and rehabilitation, Kailey’s personal philosophy as a coach is: “Never be a player’s last coach. The ultimate goal is to foster a deep love of the game that keeps the athlete engaged, while developing the skills needed to move on to the next level”.
Coaching Experience: - Level 1, Level 2 in training - 2013,2014 Assistant coach NAVC U15, U16 - 2011, 2012 Head coach FOG U13, U14 - 2014/2015 Aspire Clinic head coach - 2005-2014 camp/clinic coach: Jasper and Sylvan Lake, University of Alberta, UBC Okanagan, Thompson Rivers University
Playing Experience: - UBC Okanagan 2007-2009 (National Champion, Academic All-Canadian, Provincial All-Star, Provincial Rookie of the Year) - Team BC Provincial Team 2004-2008 - Kamloops Volleyball Association Club Volleyball 2002-2007 - South Kamloops Secondary Volleyball 2002-2007
Other Experience: - BSc., M.D., specializing in Family Medicine with a special interest in Sport and Exercise Medicine - Athletic Injury Management and Sport Taping and Strapping certification - Provincially certified referee
16U Flare Assistant Coach
• 2004 to present, Volleyball Head Coach, Volleydome, Calgary, Alberta: Coaching boys and girls aged 10-17, teaching and demonstrating basic volleyball skills. Programs including Volleydome Academy, summer camps, and Dome Club.
• Run volleyball clinics for elementary-aged kids through Alberta Volleyball
• Jags U16 Head Coach for 2013 club season
• Dome Club U13 Dynamite Head Coach for 2014 club season
• Certified Level 1 Volleyball Canada referee
• Level 1 coaching in training
North49 Volleyball Club 2005 – 2009 Technical Director
U17/18 Head Coach
Alberta Winter Games
Zone 2 Head Coach 2008
20 years of Coaching Experience
Former Provincial Team Head Coach
Former SAIT Women’s Head Coach
Former U of C Women’s Assistant Coach
Contributing Coach, St Francis High School Sr. Women's Team
15U Thunder Coach